Saturday, April 4, 2015

"I've realized that Notre Dame is that it's like Hogwarts: help will always be given to those who ask for it. I came from a competitive high school, and last semester was definitely a time of adjustment. Everything about college was new, and everyone I met was--is--brilliant, talented, and capable. My grades slipped. I stressed. But looking back on last semester, I've come to see it the way we all eventually see our mistakes: you learn something from them. Some mistakes you learn from sooner than others. Instead of beating myself up for it, I maintain a positive attitude. After all, we are all brothers and sisters in the Notre Dame family. We'll one day graduate, leave, and be representatives of Notre Dame elsewhere. It's up to us to pursue knowledge, not just in our grades but in intellectual discussion. It's up to us to help each other be the best we can be, rather than being bogged down and competitive.
"Every morning, I wake up and say to myself, 'I'm so grateful for the opportunity to go to this school.' And that's the best way to approach it, I think. There's help everywhere, from the Writing Center to the Counseling Center to your RAs and rector. And it's willingly given. The first step is being unafraid to seek it." 

No comments:

Post a Comment