Saturday, April 11, 2015

"I was first introduced to L'Arche, a faith-based community for individuals with learning disabilities, in Washington DC my freshman year. I went with a Notre Dame group over spring break for a week. That was my first time living with people with intellectual disabilities. I was super happy in the community, but I didn't know why. One week wasn't enough time for me to figure it out.
"Over the summer, I did an SSLP in the same community for two months. And that was a transformative experience. For the first time in my life, I wasn't judged by my race, my appearance, my school, my GPA. We all grow up with those labels. We identify ourselves by them. But without them, I initially felt lost. Who was I, then, if I didn't have all these things? I didn't talk much for the beginning of my time there. 
First time living with people with intellectual disabilities. Super happy in the community, didn't know why. One week wasn't enough time to figure out why. SSLP in the summer, same community for two months. A transformative experience.
"One day, a man with Down Syndrome came up to me and said, 'Can you cut my nails?' It was a beautiful moment. I had felt like nothing without my labels, and suddenly he trusted me with this intimate, personal task. I was so surprised that I didn't respond, so he asked, 'Are you okay?' And I burst into tears. Without a word, he gave me the biggest hug. He felt like a father figure in that moment. That was when my view on L'Arche undoubtedly changed. The residents, known as core members, are angels. They freely offer their love and trust. And just being yourself is enough.
"Notre Dame life is so busy. There's always something to do, whether it's an event or homework. That all went away at L'Arche: the day's obligations were three meals and sleep. I felt like I wasn't doing anything. But I learned: only when you have that free time can you find the time to offer and accept love. We're so occupied by everyday obligations that we don't have time to truly offer others love.
"This summer, I'm going to England's L'Arche. And my goal is to start one in my home country of China. It might not happen right away, but I don't see the value in procrastinating. I've had many dreams and goals as I've grown up, but my dedication to and love for L'Arche has by far been the strongest."

No comments:

Post a Comment