Thursday, April 28, 2016

"I was diagnosed with depression my senior year of high school. That was when it first really affected me. My family and friends were supportive and loving--but right after that, I moved in to Notre Dame. I was scared to tell people because I didn't want to put my problems on someone else's shoulders. Everyone has their own struggles, and I didn't want mine to be burden. Then my sophomore year, two of my aunts passed away of cancer. And again, I didn't feel the need to tell people about what a difficult time I was having.
"But as soon as I told my roommates, they were supportive and loving like I had never imagined. They help me in whatever ways I need; they offer me hugs and affirmation when I need it. I even found a picture of us tucked into my planner just a few weeks ago--one of my roommates had hidden it in there before I left for London. On the back is an amazing letter about how much she misses me. I didn't realize how much I needed that kind of support system until I found it. And they've been nothing but amazing to me.
"I've always wanted to study in London, but in the back of my mind, I was nervous about coming somewhere where I didn't have that support system. The microcosm of Notre Dame students here don't necessarily know my background. Many of us arrive as acquaintances or strangers, and I had to figure out how to talk to people about it all over again. One of the most important things I've learned while living abroad is to take care of myself. I do what makes me happy when I need it, even if it's not the easiest thing to do. If I need to get coffee on my own, I'll do it, because it's what I need. I had to learn how to do that once leaving the Notre Dame bubble for a semester.
"To someone else who's going through the same thing, I'd tell them to trust their loved ones. Trust that they will take care of you, support you, and do their best to understand. I've only felt loved from the friends I've told. While strangers might not ever guess that I struggle with a mental illness, it's helped me empathize with those who go through the same struggles."

No comments:

Post a Comment