Monday, October 5, 2015

"Mental illness runs in my family. My grandfather committed suicide when my father was young, but it was taboo in my family to talk about it. Then my brother struggled with depression. It wasn't until he was in a very bad place that the conversational ice finally broke--in order to get him the help he needed. It was frustrating that that was what broke the stigma in my family, but it was a blessing in disguise: when I had mental health struggles in high school, we were able to talk about it and get me the help I needed immediately.
"I often find myself assuming that people have the same understanding of mental illness that I do. It's not a mindset, it's not made up, it's not a 'bad attitude.' These things are hard-wired into us. So that's why I'm vocal about mental illness and its effects. Some incredibly intelligent people are still blinded by the stigma that surrounds it, and it just blows my mind. This is a conversation we need to have now. And the more we talk about it, and the more questions we ask, the better we understand what's going on--and the easier it is for people to get the help they need when they need it."

No comments:

Post a Comment