Tuesday, October 6, 2015

"Even before I came to Notre Dame, I knew that this was something that I wanted to be vocal about. The rippling effects of mental illness are astounding. I don't just sympathize, or feel for people--I empathize. I understand. I understand what it's like to be affected by mental illness, and I understand what it's like to be affected by someone else's struggle with mental illness. Seeing a parent affected by mental illness involves overwhelming emotional stress, overwhelming anxiety, overwhelming uncertainty. And it's difficult, to see someone who is so strong to you suddenly so vulnerable. Because of this, I came from a place where I wasn't expected to be able to accomplish much or go very far.
"It's not so much about understanding human psychology and cognition as it is about understanding what to do, how to act, where to start. It's not just our responsibility to understand; it's our responsibility to walk with others. Because every human being has a unique and beautiful purpose--for some, it's just more difficult than others.
"Acceptance and understanding of mental illness isn't just this week. It's not just today. It's always. Because it's not just a week or a day if you're affected by it; it's daily. So the time to fight stereotypes and perceptions is now. The time is now. It's now."

No comments:

Post a Comment