Friday, May 15, 2015

"I did an eight-week SSLP at Good Shepherd Shelter in LA. It's a place for battered women and children. Like most people, I started my SSLP excited but unsure of what was ahead of me. I was excited to be in a new place, to learn about myself and others, to give of myself and participate in service. But, as has happened for countless other people during their SSLP, my SSLP changed my life. It entirely changed my life and career focus. After coming back to campus, I became a Firestarter at the GRC and an SOS Advocate for the Rape Crisis Center of St. Joseph County. For anyone who knows me, I'm very vocal about the issues of rape and domestic violence. It's something that we all know is very hard to talk about. My SSLP made it easier for me to talk about these difficult topics--and start conversations that needed to be started. After graduation, I'm going back to the Good Shepherd Shelter for a year of service. Rape and domestic violence affect everyone, whether they're talked about or not. Especially now, it's imperative that we're conscious of these issues. Without my SSLP, I wouldn't be talking about this now."

No comments:

Post a Comment