Monday, March 30, 2015

"For the last year, it was an honor to be co-VP of Cavanaugh Hall. One of the most important parts of being involved with leadership was learning about diversity--and I don't mean physical diversity. So often we think of diversity as being about religion, cultural background, or even gender. But, when working with student leaders and commissioners, my eyes were opened to a diversity that stems from one's passions. Everyone has different ambitions, different drives, different paths, and they collaborate to create amazing things. Being co-VP has helped me see and embrace this diversity. I also love being a part of upholding Cavanaugh's dorm spirit. We have our own personality--sometimes we're seen as a quiet dorm, and we spend the most flex points, considering our proximity to LaFun.
"The dorm has fostered a sense of family in me. My parents are divorced, and I'm not from the Midwest, so I can't always engage in events geared towards families. But, for example, my roommate's father invited me to be his 'second daughter' for the dorm's upcoming Father-Daughter weekend. I love that about Notre Dame.
"Not every university has student leaders in their dorms. But at Notre Dame, responsibilities are spread across student leadership as well as rectors and administrators. And I think that's a valuable way for the student body to engage with the administration. That way, we feel a stronger sense of community with the personalities of the dorms, and we're better equipped to give back."

No comments:

Post a Comment