Wednesday, July 2, 2014

"When I was applying to colleges, I was interested in Notre Dame, but I didn't apply because I didn't think my family could afford it. It was February 27th of senior year, and in conversation, my mother asked why I hadn't applied. I explained. The next morning, she woke me up and said, 'We're going to South Bend to get an application.' We drove to Notre Dame that day, February 28th, and asked the office for an application. I still remember the woman, Annie, who handed me the booklet. I leafed through it and was disheartened at all I had to do before March 1st: essays, letters of recommendation. But Annie said to me, 'Hang on a moment, honey,' and went to the back of the office. When she returned, she announced she'd gotten me an extension. I had fourteen days. And in that time, I wrote my essays, got a letter of recommendation, and sent the application in. I was accepted by April 1st, not even a month after applying. That was the start of a lifelong relationship with Notre Dame."

No comments:

Post a Comment