Saturday, March 8, 2014

"Every year, there's what some folks like to call the Rules and Regulations Chat. The freshmen are seated in the chapel, and we go over some of the basics about being at Notre Dame. But while they're congregated, I tell them: be open to growth. You will grow here in ways you expected; you will grow in ways you never expected. Some of your greatest learning experiences will be outside the classroom.
"As a rector, I have learned volumes about myself. All my ministry has been with young adults, and how I feel in their presence is something I can't articulate. That probably isn't a good answer for your blog, though. Let's see. They're just so positive. And life-giving. It is a true blessing, a life-changing blessing, to be able to witness the growth of a class of women over four years. It is truly a holy moment...or a series of holy moments. 'Awesome' doesn't cover it.
"Now I get to be on a blog, hm? First I was in a movie, now this. I don't mean to put in a plug for it, but you should look up Parietals Playlist on YouTube. A group of Pangborn women recorded it for the Morrissey Film Festival. The girls came to me and said, 'Sister, will you say something for our video?' So I hesitantly said sure. I only had one line, and it was something like, 'Yo, boys, get out the Pang.' I said exactly that--I opened my door and said my line. And the girls said, 'No, no, sister, you have to say it to the beat of the music!' And I said, 'They're going to have to up my medication or yours, because I don't hear any music.' Then they gave me a beat to say my line to. It was really a hilarious video, put together by a group of extremely talented women. They're singing from the dryer in one of the scenes. I have no idea how they got in there."

No comments:

Post a Comment