Wednesday, February 19, 2014

             "May I ask what your shirt means?"
"It's Awkward Awareness week! It's a week dedicated to conversation about the uniqueness of everyone you meet. Everyone is, well, awkward in some way. But it's also about acknowledging each person's inherent dignity, no matter if parts of them go against what are considered to be social norms. So we can be vocal about it, because sometimes, awkwardness is really funny!"
              "Did you choose the awkward situation on that shirt for a reason?"
"Actually, my RA got it for me! I wasn't able to make the dining hall hours when they were giving these out, so she picked one up for me. It was really kind of her. And, I mean, this shirt is the story of my life." (laughs) "That and misunderstanding people. I'm deaf in both ears but I wear a hearing aid. Sometimes, if we're in a loud place, I'll think I heard something and be like, 'Did you say what I think you just said?' It's awkward sometimes, but it's hilarious."

No comments:

Post a Comment