Wednesday, January 20, 2016

           "What is a pet peeve of yours?"
"Easy: when people recite London's area code as 0207. It's 020, take a breath, and the next set of numbers starts with a 7. That's how they're divided. When someone divides them differently, it's especially difficult for me to remember due to my dyslexia."
           "You're dyslexic and you're a librarian? Can you tell me a little more about that?"
"I didn't learn how to read until I was around seven or eight. All my primary school teachers would laugh right now to know I'm a librarian, because reading was a struggle for me. But a teacher worked with me one-on-one to work on my reading skills and develop different strategies for managing my dyslexia. I typed, rather than hand-wrote, my tests--and ended up lugging around a giant computer the size of a desk every time I moved house. Even now, still use the strategies I learned then. In some ways, they've made me a better librarian, especially with copyediting.
"I feel particularly grateful to be in charge of academic accomnodations here at Notre Dame in London for those with invisible disabilities. I received the attention, help, and care I needed when I struggled, and I'm grateful to pass that on to someone else who is in a similar situation."

No comments:

Post a Comment