Thursday, October 15, 2015

"My service dog's name is Angel. I didn't have any trouble getting permission for her in my off-campus living; it was permission for classes that was tough. Angel's only been to two so far. I was recently diagnosed on the autism spectrum, among other things. It's a very real disability. When this happened, I talked to my therapist about what to do going forward, and that's when getting a service dog came up. So I adopted Angel in the end of July.
"I've taken a full year off school total, having left for two springs. Although I'm technically in my senior year, it's been difficult, since my friends and support system have graduated. I wasn't sure how I would handle the semester ahead, but Angel has been tremendously important to me in this way. She's in the process of being trained. I need her to complete the tasks I find necessary for my situation--she can help with self-harm issues, or when I'm having a bad day, or to make sure I've eaten a meal. But training classes cost money. My parents refuse to help me take care of Angel financially, and my financial aid was cut this year.
"The most frustrating thing about having gotten Angel is when I introduce her to people who knew me before I got her. They'll tell me I can't take Angel to events because they've seen me at the events without her in the past. Just because someone saw me in the past without Angel, it doesn't mean that I was doing well. Plus, she's a disability dog. You wouldn't tell someone with a more physically visible disability not to take their dog. So it's a slow process of explaining these things to people. But it's worth it. Angel's been worth it."

To donate to Angel's training costs, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment