Thursday, April 30, 2015

"One of the most formative experiences I've had at Notre Dame has been participating in Show Some Skin. Back in high school, I wasn't in a long-term relationship the way my sister was. To a point, I felt like I couldn't love or be loved. When I participated in Show Some Skin, I was given a monologue by an author who felt she had a 'gay disease.' I ate, slept, and lived with that monologue, trying to understand the character, trying to get into their head. I had never discriminated against someone who is gay, but I also feel like I grouped them into a category and didn't see them as many, many individuals. As I practiced the monologue, I started love this author. I started to see inside her. And I thought, I could never hate this girl, because I know and love her. 
"After the final night of performance, someone came up to me and said, 'Hey...you performed the monologue that I wrote.' And I was stunned. I said, 'You are exactly how I pictured you.' I'm still friends with her now. I knew her and loved her as a person before I ever met her. Truly, this show taught me that I am capable of loving and am capable of being loved.
"It's so easy to generalize any group of people, to hate them and discriminate against them. But when you're one-on-one, it's impossible to hate them. You see their vulnerability. This is so important, especially in college. And Show Some Skin is addressing that head-on."

No comments:

Post a Comment