Thursday, March 5, 2015

"This is my last semester here as a grad student. I like to do illustration, but I generally do research and take time with each piece. The art department asked me to do drawings for TEDxUND, something more intuitive and reactive. So I sat in the balcony with markers and an easel and let drawings of each TEDxUND speaker come organically. I only have 12 minutes to understand and draw each person, which, I'm realizing, is not a lot of time to draw, listen, and understand simultaneously. I'm trying to stay engaged in each talk. It's easy to disconnect when you're absorbed in an activity--even driving--so my goal is to be consciously drawing something new.
"The drawings are based on each speaker's representation of themselves. I had a moment of panic earlier today when two speakers challenged the audience: they said your perception of self should not be shaped by how others define you. And I said to myself, 'Am I representing these speakers the way they want to be represented?' All I really have to draw from is their presentation. But I think these drawings are just a representation of my interpretation of the talks. The goal is to encourage other people to engage in the TEDxUND talks in a visual or creative manner."

No comments:

Post a Comment