Saturday, January 31, 2015

“I’m very open about my bipolar disorder. That’s really the way I handle it: by being honest, confident, and open about it. Of course there were and are a few people who are mean or dismissive. And for a few years, that hurt. But I finally got to the point where I could say, ‘I don’t need their negative influence.’
“I first wondered if I had bipolar disorder when—this is gonna sound cheesy—I saw a video of Demi Lovato opening up about her struggles with it. After everything she said, I realized, ‘That’s me.’ I went to someone who said I had ADD, but that just didn’t feel right. Then in college, I didn’t take action until the beginning of sophomore year, when I finally went to see someone. That was when I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and began treatment. And nearly everyone has been supportive, most especially the Frisbee team. They're so accommodating in everything I do--they look out for me and they're welcoming to Fred."
               “What advice would you give to someone who was in your position before you were diagnosed and found treatment?”
“Get help sooner. Get a service dog sooner. Even if some people attach stigma to what you think you might have, it’s not worth it. Because you can improve, and you will improve, but you have to start somewhere."

Fred is Ellen's service dog and is in need of surgery shortly. If you are interested in donating to alleviate the cost of Fred's surgery, please visit Ellen and Fred's GoFundMe at gofundme.com/kvpaes

1 comment:

  1. My daughter suffers from depression and severe anxiety. She has already been accepted to Holy Cross College at Notre Dame and is waiting to hear from Notre Dame reference her application. Her doctor recommended an emotional support dog and she has it worked out with Holy Cross to be allowed to have a support dog. I have not been able to find information about how to acquire an emotional support dog. We live in Nashville, would you be able to provide some information regarding where to get a dog like this and where to go for training. Thank you so much for any help you can give.

    ReplyDelete