Sunday, November 2, 2014


"I'm 86 right now, but you wouldn't know it. I'm telling you: music makes you young. I was a music major in college, playing the slide trombone. I went on to teach vocal performance in elementary schools, then eventually moved to special education. When I graduated--I mean, when I retired! Sometimes I think of retiring as graduating. When I retired, my husband bought me a dulcimer, I bought him an autoharp, and we both learned how to play them. Then he had the brilliant idea to play them at nursing homes. Eventually, I became Hat Lady."
                 "How did that happen?"
"Well, one day, to brighten up a few guests' days, I brought a couple hats and started placing them on guests' heads. Men and women alike, I'm telling you: they bloom. They absolutely bloom. Now I find supplies at Goodwill to make hats for all occasions. I bring them when make rounds to the four nursing homes I visit, where I spend time with the guests and play them music."

No comments:

Post a Comment