Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"Back home in Vietnam, I started a program called the Foundation for Poor Children and Young Women. The focus of the program is on human dignity. We host workshops for young women, providing them time and space to listen to talks, build community, play games, and pray. Interactions with the children are different--they're always in different places in their education, and are often at a disadvantage, so every conversation is slightly different from the last. The goal is to inspire them to use their energy to be active in their education, to connect with the Christian faith. My time at Notre Dame has been proof that God has a plan for me to continue this journey. Since English is my second language, I may not be the ideal student in philosophy and theology...But being here has been preparation to return to Vietnam and serve the poor with my Dominican Sisters. Before coming to Notre Dame, I had the passion for serving the underprivileged, but I didn't have the means of enacting change the way I wanted. Now that I'm here, I'm learning how to approach this change through a religious venue. I return to my sisters in Vietnam over breaks to help serve, and plan to use this education God has blessed me with to make the Foundation for Poor Children and Young Women the best it can be, using and growing in my God-given talents."

No comments:

Post a Comment