Monday, September 8, 2014

"I attended a non-denominational all-girls high school, so coming to Notre Dame was a bit of a culture shock for me. The classroom dynamics shifted dramatically since I study mechanical engineering, a male-dominated field. I also learned about existing stereotypes of Notre Dame women and St. Mary’s women from older students, Domerfest, overheard conversations. Even as I got more involved on campus, I knew that I wanted to create a more supportive environment for women on campus. During sophomore year, I started exploring my options but didn’t have a clear idea of what would be most effective. During my time abroad in Ireland as junior, I was able to organize my thoughts and began to plan for my dream club. When I got back to campus last January, I decided to go for it. I wrote the constitution, decided on a tentative schedule, and created a budget, all in hopes that my vision would come to fruition. After waiting and thinking and talking and waiting even more, I’m back at Notre Dame for my fourth of five years as a student, and Notre Dames is finally a reality.
"The club is open to all students at Notre Dame and St. Mary’s. Ultimately, it’s of the Dames, by the Dames, for the Dames. We’ll host events, listen to speakers, and get together to discuss anything and everything that relates to women—things that we as Dames want to explore. Talk It Out Tuesdays (TIOTs) are designated as meet-ups, rather than meetings. They’re drop-in, flexible, low-maintenance. They fit well within Dames’ schedules and busy lives. The idea of a TIOT is based on the senior hallway of my high school: with girls sprawled out on couches, sitting on desks, walking to classes, you could hear about recent break-ups, women’s role in the developing world, drama on the soccer team, the gender pay gap, etc. All aspects of women’s lives were addressed fluidly and honestly. Notre Dames aims to serve as that hallway, to provide an atmosphere that is honest, energetic, fun, and approachable. Topics related to gender can be hard to discuss, especially if you don’t have an opinion carved in stone. Talk It Out Tuesdays are a safe space to explore your own thoughts and listen to the thoughts of others who might have different perspectives. Similarly, we also want to engage with the Dames who have come before us: female alums. A great mentor in my workplace solidified my desire to reach out to alumnae: they have stories about their time at Notre Dame, their paths since graduation, their struggles, their triumphs. I think it would be great for current students to hear more about these women and these stories.
"The image and branding of a new club is crucial; it sets the tone, represents the mission, and serves as a first impression. Our logo, designed by my fabulous friend Rachel, is a pair of lips. Lips work because they capture Notre Dames’ emphasis on discussion and using our voices, while standing out next to the masculine images traditionally found on campus. Also, the logo depicts femininity without defining what it means to look like a girl. Dames come in every shape, size, and color. They have different backgrounds, majors, ages, colleges, campuses—but we are all united as Dames and should see each other as such.
"My experiences in high school helped me to develop my voice. Notre Dame gave me a reason to use it. And that reason is to provide other women with the opportunity to strengthen their own voices."

No comments:

Post a Comment