Tuesday, May 20, 2014

"Spring of freshman year, I declared a theology minor. Then the next year I declared a supplementary major. And then the next year, it was my second full major, next to my math major. I want to address all the women who don't feel welcome in the church, and at least in the traditional church they understand in their direct experience, that there are tons of women out there working on theology explicitly for those reasons, and not to give up because it's happening, the conversation's going on right now. That's my message to the world: people are thinking about that. Women are not at the back of everyone's minds. They're at the forefront. Women care about them. Women are actively trying to dignify other women in the church: to play a fundamental role, as fellow human beings who reflect God in their physical beings."
"She was always hesitant to question or object as a child. It was only when she reached college that she started thinking critically about her faith, and about society as a whole."
"My mom has always been a person of very few prejudices. Growing up, I felt more 'traditional' than she. While they obviously shouldn't be separated, for a while, it was as though I represented faith, and she represented works."
"I always thought to myself, at the end of the day, who are we helping? Are we acting in the image of Jesus? That's where the heart of my spirituality lies."
"I'm hoping that Pope Francis chooses a female cardinal. You don't technically have to be an ordained priest to be a cardinal, although traditionally most of them are ordained priests. Because then a woman's voice could be directly inserted into the realm of creating theological doctrines. Attention to women is absolutely present in the Catholic Church. It's a hot topic now in academic theology; but not all laypeople know that. And that's something that I think will be apparent over time, just by trickling down. But it's also something I'd love for everyone to know now."
"I'm so proud of her. She's such an accomplished young lady."
"And my mom's also a very accomplished young lady."

No comments:

Post a Comment