Tuesday, April 15, 2014

                  "Why is the Backer such a big part of the Notre Dame community over 21?"
"I think think it's because we've never lost sight of our values. Since we opened in '63, I can think of a dozen bars who have come and gone. They take the easy money--letting underage kids in. But we've been strict about legality since day one, and I think that's what has brought us where we are today. The community is relying on us; our two dozen employees are relying on us. And to be perfectly honest, the juniors over 21 and the seniors have come to discourage underclassmen from trying (and failing) to get in. They see the Backer as the special place that it is and want it to remain that way."
                 "Is it true that you drive the band truck with equipment to away games and tournaments?"
"Absolutely. I used to drive a truck for the football team, but when they switched companies, they no longer needed me. Luckily, the band still had a place for me, so I've been all over with them: Nashville, Dallas, Miami, Norman. I'm a retired police officer; now that I'm retired, I can start on all the things I never had time to do. I drive for the hockey team, too. In fact, I'm going up to Chicago later today to pick up the tennis team."

No comments:

Post a Comment