Saturday, March 29, 2014

"I came to Notre Dame with the intention of being an economics major. By the end of my freshman year, I came to realize that music was my true passion. Sophomore year, I auditioned for the Glee Club. Three different faculty members had said to me, 'You should audition for the Glee Club!' I just kind of blew them off. I mean, I knew how to sing, but I didn't think I was a singer. By the third suggestion, I took a look at the website and heard the arrangement of 'Winter Wonderland.' And I said, 'Yeah! I want to be a part of that!' I've arranged quite a few songs for the Glee Club since then."
                "Where do you start when you want to arrange a piece?"
"When I first started arranging, I just picked all the songs I loved. My logic was that I loved the song, so everyone else should, too! But when it came down to it, some of them just didn't work in an a capella format. Some performers had difficulty reading the music. Since then, I've definitely taken more care to consider my audience and performers."
                As for class advice for music majors...
"If you're not a fan of music theory, don't take Schenkerian Analysis. But do take Baroque Counterpoint. Really."

No comments:

Post a Comment