Thursday, February 27, 2014

"Kids who come to Notre Dame are very affected by what they've heard and been told about South Bend. They hear it's a dangerous place, that they shouldn't go into the city. And South Bend residents are affected by what they've heard about Notre Dame kids--that they're snooty and think they're invincible. So we put ourselves into these silos, containing ourselves to stereotypes and appearances. The only way to break barriers is to immerse yourself in the community: going out as a volunteer, as a mentor, on an educational experience like Urban Plunge. You can't understand a community if you're removed from it. I love this city. I've lived here my whole life. It's been good to me, it's been good for me.
"Here's a challenge for you--for everyone: tomorrow, go up to someone you've never seen before, a stranger, and smile and say hello."

No comments:

Post a Comment