Sunday, February 16, 2014

"I ran a writing website for middle schoolers and high schoolers for around five years. My freshman year of college, I was bummed I had to take Writing and Rhetoric. I'd kinda wished I'd taken AP English to place out of it. After I wrote my first paper, I was lucky enough to have a professor who was willing to work with me. He pulled me aside and said, 'Look, I don't want to give you an F. This is a good paper...it's just not the assignment.' I was home-schooled, so I was used to a more creative approach in assignments. I'd look at a prompt and say, 'Well, that's a good idea,' but then take it a different direction. So I really learned how to write with guidelines my freshman year. By the end of the semester, my professor encouraged me to apply for the Writing Center. In fact, he said, 'Well, grades aren't in yet, so if you want to apply, you should do it now...' Just joking around, of course. But it was a surprisingly thorough process of application and interviewing. I guess the University likes to brag about us."
            "And now you are the Writing Center!"
"I am the Writing Center...yeah, I like the sound of that. Sounds powerful."

No comments:

Post a Comment