Sunday, February 2, 2014

"I came to Notre Dame feeling calls to both ministry and to engineering. The summer after my freshman year, I spent time as a missionary through Life Teen. The next summer, through a biology professor, I visited Harper and found my call: cancer research. It's a highly demanding and very challenging line of work, but its products are rewarding beyond measure. I'm just playing a very small part...but any part at all is worth it.
"I'm fighting for more birthdays. That's the reason why I'm doing this."

No interview can properly convey the light that shines from within this awesome human being. I was so struck--inspired--by his selflessness and work ethic that I could not stop thinking of how beautifully his work reminded me of an Emily Dickinson poem. The least I can do is use Ms. Dickinson's words, because there comes a time when my own fail me.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain. 

- Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment