Tuesday, January 14, 2014

This wasn't John's first interview; he listed off a variety of sources that had interest in what he had to say, including NDtv, the Observer, and the yearbook!

"I stay young by working here and talking to all the kids. I don't want to sit around all day and talk to old people about the same things."
             "Is it hard to hold a conversation while students are constantly moving through the dining hall lines?"
"I recognize many, many faces. My wife Lila and I work the same shift here every night. I have a list of jokes to tell. I'm always coming up with new ones. You've heard some of mine before! And I ask the occasional question. I like to know what people are doing and where they are from."

Nearing the end of our conversation, he handed me a piece of paper that read, "Amrita Willighagan, Jackie Evancho, Mary Margaret". He explained who each person was and told me to look them up: "I like to keep little things like this so I can give them to kids to look them up and learn something small every day."

And to top it all off: "I'm going to be 100 in 14 years!"

No comments:

Post a Comment